Fugitive couple facing murder charges back in custody

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

Blane Barksdale, 56, and Susan Barksdale, 59, of Arizona, were captured without incident by US Marshals and the Navajo County Sheriff's Office, according to Arizona's 12 News.

A fugitive husband-and-wife team wanted for murder and arson have been captured in Arizona - almost three weeks after they overpowered guards and escaped custody in Utah last month.

The Barksdales are suspected of slaying 72-year-old Frank Bligh (pictured) in April in Tuscon, Arizona.

A pair of 50-plus-year-old married murder suspects were busted in Arizona on Wednesday night after weeks on the lam since escaping police custody in NY, a report said.

After the alleged killing, the couple fled to upstate NY, where U.S. Marshals with help from a SWAT team apprehended them.

The Barksdales were on the run for more than two weeks after escaping custody in Utah while en route to Arizona. A third inmate in the van wanted no part of the escape.

The Barksdales then drove the van to Vernon, Arizona, where they obtained a pickup truck from an acquaintance and likely got help from additional people, Gonzales said. Then they "abandoned the locked prison van with the three occupants inside". Based on tips they had received, the marshals believed the Barksdales were hiding out somewhere east of Snowflake, Ariz., an isolated enclave where dozens have gone to live off the grid, some of whom believe they suffer from environmental illnesses that make it impossible for them to live in populated areas among pollution and technology.

The reward for information leading to Susan Barksdale's arrest was set at $10,000.

Authorities say Susan had pretended to have an intestinal issue while she was in the back of the privately operated prison transport van, and forced the two security guards to stop. The Pima County Sheriff's Department has said that it has suspended the use of the transport company, STS, pending a review of the escape.

They also are facing charges of first-degree burglary, arson of an occupied structure, criminal damage and auto theft.

The fugitives allegedly stole $30 from the guards and, through a friend, acquired another vehicle in Arizona - a red GMC Sierra pickup truck - to resume their attempted getaway with at least a six- to seven-hour head start before authorities were alerted to look for them.

North Korea confirms it tested a multiple rocket launcher for 2nd time
Popeye's launches "Bring Your Own Bun" after viral sandwich sells out