Evidence shows Khashoggi murder planned, carried out by Saudi officials

Evidence shows Khashoggi murder planned, carried out by Saudi officials

Evidence shows Khashoggi murder planned, carried out by Saudi officials

USA intelligence agencies believe Crown Prince Mohammed ordered an operation to kill Khashoggi, a critic and Washington Post columnist, and say his body was dismembered and removed to a location still publicly unknown.

Despite Turkey's joint investigation with Saudi officials looking at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul, the consul's residence and several other locations, the whereabouts of Khashoggi's remains are still unknown.

Under an existing human rights accountability law, the letter gives the president 120 days to designate and punish those responsible. Some aides said they still hoped to receive it by early next week if not on Friday, but the administration said it did not feel the need to send one. The State Department said on Thursday that Washington had already taken action over Khashoggi's killing.

Reuters Jamal Khashoggi had been living in Washington, D.C., in the a year ago before his death.

While Saudi prosecutors have charged a dozen government officials for the murder, the kingdom continues to insist that the crown prince had not had any prior knowledge of the operation in Istanbul, whose original aim was to bring Khashoggi back to Riyadh. Trump's GOP allies in the Senate have disavowed the president's position, joining with a unanimous vote to condemn the prince as responsible for the killing.

US President Donald Trump has reiterated the Saudi denials and countered the CIA's assessment, refusing to denounce MBS.

Examine: Jamal Khashoggi understood power.

President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo have not backed the evidence of USA intelligence that the prince nearly certainly ordered the killing, or at least knew of it.

If neither of those methods worked, the Crown Prince said, then he would go after the slain journalist "with a bullet". "Turkey has upended all these intentions and revealed all the efforts", Gül told reporters after his visit to Turkey's Bars Association on February 8. "Our leadership is a red line".

A Saudi public prosecutor's spokesman said late past year 11 Saudis had been indicted and referred for trial over the case, with authorities seeking the death penalty for five.

The deadline coincides with new embarrassing developments for the prince.

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the country's de-facto ruler, said in 2017 that he would use "a bullet" on journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a New York Times (NYT) report said, citing U.S. intelligence officials with knowledge of intercepted communications between the crown prince and a senior Saudi aide. The discovery of the crown prince's statement was made as the National Security Agency and other USA spy agencies are reviewing years of intercepted Saudi voice and text communications.

Soundarya Rajinikanth marriage with Vishagan: Rajinikanth organises a wedding reception
Injured Maro Itoje targets return for England’s last two Six Nations fixtures