Harvey Weinstein wins dismissal of one criminal charge

Weinstein wins dismissal of criminal charge for alleged sex assault

Harvey Weinstein Gets A Big Win As NY Judge Dismisses One Count And Gives Defense More Time To Fight

Evans was one of the first women to come forward with allegations against Weinstein.

The Latest on the Manhattan district attorney's decision to drop some charges against Harvey Weinstein.

The woman, prosecutors said, told the detective in February that Weinstein had offered them money to flash their breasts during the restaurant encounter.

The witness claimed that Evans told she voluntarily gave Weinstein oral sex to get an acting role.

Weinstein's defence lawyer later suggested, outside court, that Ms Evans should be criminally prosecuted for perjury.

Brafman told the court that he planned to file additional motions to have the remaining five charges dismissed.

"Sexual assault is a serious crime", Brafman said outside the courthouse in Lower Manhattan Thursday, "but falsely accusing someone of sexual assault is also a serious crime".

Weinstein's bond was set at $10 million and he is required to wear a GPS monitoring system and is only allowed to travel within NY state or CT. He also said he believed a police detective had corruptly attempted to influence the case by keeping a witness from testifying about her misstatements.

The letter also said prosecutors had recently obtained an email that Evans wrote in 2015 to the man she later married.

According to the witness, who was not named in the court filing, Evans had been drinking and "appeared to be upset, embarrassed and shaking" when she told the story.

"The integrity of these proceedings has been compromised", he said. The lawyer, Carrie Goldberg, added "People always ask why don't sexual assault survivors come forward, this is why".

Prosecutor Joan Illuzzi-Orbon told the court she would drop count six of the indictment, which involves Lucia Evans, an actress who accused Weinstein of forcing her to perform oral sex on him in 2004.

Mr Brafman also said he would investigate what he said had been "perjury" before the grand jury which indicted Mr Weinstein, as well as the conduct of a NY police officer who had worked on the case.

The 66-year-old father of five, out on a $1 million bail and forced to wear a Global Positioning System monitor, attended the latest court hearing and denies any non-consensual sexual relations.

Remaining charges include allegations Weinstein raped a woman in 2013 and forced a sex act on a different woman in 2006.

The movie mogul's fabled career imploded after he was hit by a tidal wave of lurid allegations relating to the rape and sexual of a large number of women. The former movie producer pleaded not guilty to all of them and was granted bail at $1 million.

This decision comes after Weinstein's lawyers argued that there are legal problems with the criminal case against him. "There is a rush to arrest, there is pressure to arrest, and what we see is that happened in this case".

'It's gone': Mexico Beach, Fla., left in ruins by Hurricane Michael
Qatar Airways marks World Mental Health Day