As for the stock, the drop in it isn't that shocking, because Chipotle has had a big price rally in the past few months, much of which was likely fueled by short covering.
Public information officer Traci Whittaker said the department was investigating food samples from the outlet, but is still not aware of the pathogen that caused the illnesses. Chipotle spokeswoman Laurie Schalow told Business Insider Chipotle planned to reopen the restaurant Tuesday pending approval from the local health department.
Shares of the company were down 7.4 percent at $431.12, erasing gains made since Chipotle reported stronger-than-expected profit and same-restaurant sales for its second quarter on Thursday.
"Our protocols identified a handful of illness reports at one restaurant in Powell", the company said in an emailed statement.
It was mid-July past year when more than 130 customers reporting falling ill from norovirus-like symptoms at a Sterling, Virginia, Chipotle. The restaurant corrected the violations during the same visit, according to the health inspection report.
A customer who claims he got sick after eating at the Powell Chipotle is suing, seeking more than $250,000 in total damages from several defendants. The crisis prompted Chipotle officials to close 2,000 locations in February 2016 to conduct an employee food-safety training program.
That news also surfaced through iwaspoisoned.com when 89 reports and 133 customers reported falling sick. Chipotle Mexican Grill has a one year low of $247.51 and a one year high of $483.29.