Bolton said on CBS' "Face the Nation" that top US diplomat Mike Pompeo will be discussing that plan with North Korea in the near future. "In the meantime, no Rocket Launches or Nuclear Testing in 8 months", he wrote on Twitter overnight.
White House officials are reportedly looking to schedule a second meeting between Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump in New York City this September, in an attempt to progress from the two leaders' first summit in Singapore.
"There's no evidence that they are decreasing stockpiles, or that they have stopped their production", one anonymous official told NBC News last week.
"I don't read the way he conducted these meetings the same way", Bolton told Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace. Pompeo, who has taken a leading role in negotiations with the North Korean leader, has said it may take years to implement an agreement that would eliminate the nation's nuclear stockpile. The official was not authorized to comment publicly on the matter and requested anonymity.
The report, citing unidentified United States officials, said the USA side suspected Kim might try to hide those facilities as negotiations progress.
USA officials also said they were not convinced that North Korea was stopping missile production and testing. "Physically we would be able to dismantle the overwhelming bulk of their programmes within a year".
Three weeks after the historic meeting between President Trump and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will return to North Korea on Thursday at a time the regime has done little to publicly show it is working towards denuclearization.
"We don't talk about intelligence matters, but the Secretary - we're all keeping a close eye - the USA government keeping a close eye on North Korea, and the Secretary has been very clear and very blunt with the North Koreans about what he expects, and I'll leave it at that".
Even that was viewed as bullish by non-proliferation experts considering the scale of North Korea's weapons program and its history of evasion and reluctance to allow verification of disarmament agreements. "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea".
"I'll leave it up to our diplomats at the State Department to continue the work they started at the summit", said Pentagon spokesman Col. Robert Manning.
"I made a deal with him, I shook hands with him, I really believe he means it", said Trump.
"Now we're saving a lot of money", Trump said of the cancellation of large-scale military drills that involve flights of U.S. bombers from the Pacific U.S. territory of Guam.
Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced on Monday that Pompeo would travel to North Korea this week.
Asked about the USA diplomat's visit, Kim Eui-keum, a spokesman for South Korea's Blue House, said that they were aware of the meeting but that it would be inappropriate to comment further.
Pompeo's visit will take place as part of a week-long trip to Asia and Europe, said the State Department.