Iconic Images Of Black Women Protesting In The 21st Century

Police are trying to coax the woman down

WPIX Police are trying to coax the woman down

Okoumou is scheduled to appear in Manhattan Federal Court on Thursday. Okoumou is facing several federal misdemeanor charges including trespassing, disorderly conduct, and interfering with government functions.

Okoumou, 44, is a native of the Democratic Republic of Congo but now resides in Staten Island and has lived in New York for roughly a decade, according to New York Daily News. Okoumou alleged she was racially discriminated against and later lost the case as she acted as her legal representation in court.

The woman who scaled the base of the Statue of Liberty to protest the Trump administration's immigration policies has been identified as Therese Patricia Okoumou.

The woman told the authorities that she wouldn't come down from the statue until "all the children are released", according to CNN.

Civil rights activist Theresa Patricia Okoumou became a hero to many after she scaled the Statue of Liberty on Fourth of July, without any climbing gear, to protest President Donald Trump and his administration's brutal policy of separating immigrant children from their parents at the US border.

About 30 metres above ground, the climber engaged in a roughly four-hour standoff with police before two New York Police Department officers climbed up to the base and went over to her.

She, however, chose to climb the foot of the Statue and declared that she would not come down until all the children were released.

Okoumou, who goes by her middle name, Patricia, sported a T-shirt reading "White Supremacy is Terrorism", which she had worn inside-out in court. "Trump has ripped this country apart". "You see the guys that went up?" U.S. Park Police and NYPD officers spent hours trying to talk her down. But her climb was not part of the planned protest and was done without the group's knowledge, Quinn said. "Just get some nets'".

Police eventually brought her to safety.

If Okoumou is convicted, she faces a maximum penalty of six months in prison on each of the three counts.

The National Park Service was forced to shut the park early and evacuate more than 4,000 visitors after she refused to come down from the monument's base.

Average attendance to the island on the Fourth of July is usually around 20,000 to 25,000 people, agency spokesperson Jerry Willis said.

Cruise operator Statue Cruises said it had to turn away more than 2,000 visitors waiting to take their tour to the famed statue. The NYPD Emergency Services Unit officers were finally able to get her down. "She's participated in quite a few of our actions".

Croatia Are Through To The Semi-Finals After A Penalty Shootout
Uruguay’s Godin won't give ground to France’s Griezmann in World Cup battle