A Texan required 26 doses of anti-venom after he was bitten by the severed head of a rattlesnake he had killed.
To prepare for the day's festivities, Jennifer told The Washington Post that she and her husband made a decision to tidy up the yard of their home near Lake Corpus Christi in southern Texas.
The man, who was not named, began having seizures, experienced internal bleeding and lost his vision. An air ambulance was requisitioned and the man was airlifted to the hospital. Doctors told Sutcliffe her husband might not make it, even after giving him vast amounts of anti-venom.
"A normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses of antivenom", Sutcliffe said.
He's in stable condition but his kidney function is still weak. Dr. Michael Halpert, a trauma surgeon at Christus Spohn Shoreline Hospital, said although dying from a snakebite is rare, it happens. The population of these snakes is so high that a special event is held in Sweetwater, Texas to get rid of excess rattlesnakes every year.
Among their tips to avoid snake bites: never go barefoot or wear sandals in wild areas, watch your step and avoid tall grass.
"No, you don't want to do any of that", Halpert said. The man then beheaded the snake with with a shovel.
It turns out snakes can still attack even an hour after they've been beheaded.
She said that because the snake had no control of its venom glands Milo was injected a super dose of venom, much more than what would usually be used.