Nate Diaz discussing potential August return to the Octagon

Conor Mc Gregor Celebrates

GETTYConor Mc Gregor hasn't set foot inside the Octagon in nearly 18 months

It's been nearly two years since Nate Diaz has stepped foot in a UFC Octagon. White made it clear, however, that a fight of that magnitude could only take place in one city.

It's understood that McGregor was attempting to exact retribution over an incident that took place earlier that week, when a verbal altercation ensued as Artem Lobov - McGregor's team-mate - was cornered by Nurmagomedov and members of his team.

Diaz has not fought since suffering defeat in his rematch with Conor McGregor at UFC 202 nearly two years ago in what was the best-selling pay-per-view in the promotion's history. It may be just before the two-year mark of his last fight.

Sources told ESPN that UFC has reached out to Diaz with multiple lightweight opponents for a fight this summer, possibly at UFC 227 on August 4 in Los Angeles.

MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani also reported UFC provided Diaz with a list of prospective opponents, with Diaz "interested in at least one name presented to him".

If he were to accept a fight with someone like Eddie Alvarez, Dustin Poirier, or Kevin Lee, Diaz could jump right back into the deep end of the pool at 155 pounds.

Well, now ESPN's Brett Okamoto is reporting that sources have informed him the UFC and Diaz have talked about him fighting on the promotion's August 4th card in Los Angeles.

Despite having been inactive for so long, Diaz is already targeting a route to a world title shot and has previously expressed a desire to fight welterweight champion Tyron Woodley.

What are your thoughts on Diaz negotiating to make a UFC return soon? "Back in August of 2017, Diaz's boxing coach Richard Perez said that Diaz will needs "$20-30 million" for the McGregor trilogy.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport?

Liverpool Play "Crazy Football" To Reach Champions League Final
Steven Gerrard's Former Manager Issues Advice Over Rangers Job