A gunbattle raged between Afghan security forces and a handful of militants following a series of explosions in the eastern city of Jalalabad on Sunday that killed at least four people and wounded at least 20, officials said.
There were two explosions near the city's directorate of finance, the Nangarhar provincial governor's spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP, adding that "a number of attackers" had entered the building.
Afghan security forces have struggled to combat the Taliban and IS since the USA and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation formally concluded their combat role in the country in 2014, shifting to a support and counterterrorism mission.
Sounds of heavy and light weapons could be heard from the spot where the attack is taking place.
Security forces and attackers are now fighting each other. That attack, also claimed by Daesh, followed much the same pattern as Sunday's incident.
At least three explosions were heard at the start of what appeared to be a co-ordinated attack, he said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
Qaderi said at least four attackers then stormed into the building with rocket-propelled-grenade launchers and AK-47 assault rifles.
The Taliban recently launched their annual spring offensive, in an apparent rejection of a peace talks overture by the Afghan government.
Dozens of people have been killed in voter registration centres in recent weeks.
Last year, U.S. stepped up its support to struggling Afghan forces, announcing plans for thousands of additional advisers and increasing air strikes in a bid to force the Taliban to enter peace negotiations.