"SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL", read the message, which also blared across Hawaiian televisions stations.
Adventurer Alison Teal called it "the worst moment of my life".
With the threat of North Korean missiles on many people's minds, the state reintroduced the Cold War-era warning siren tests last month in a move that drew worldwide attention.
The governor's remarks come after Hawaii Emergency Management Agency Administrator Vern Miyagi headed to the agency's 24-hour operations center to find out why the false alert was sent out, according to an email to CNN. We'll announce when the threat has ended. "We don't have any bomb shelters here". He said the agency is looking to speed that process up in case it happened again, though they promised it wouldn't.
Panic spread throughout the islands for an estimated 30 minutes, until state officials confirmed that the alert was a false alarm.
But it would be until 8:45 a.m. that a second message would be sent to cell phones saying that the warning was false.
The emergency alert sent to cellphones said, "Ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii".
An image of the false emergency alert sent from the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency system on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018. He said officials would study the error to make sure it doesn't happen again.
"I'm sorry for that pain and confusion that anyone might have experienced".
A former Pentagon communications director during the Obama administration quipped that "thank God" Trump was playing golf during the false alarm.
Kim said he spoke against the state adding the missile alerts, which it recently began testing, because he didn't think it was ready.
Floridians vacationing in paradise say they were not prepared for feelings of fear and panic during their holiday. "I, too, am extremely upset about this". "Nothing as terrifying as a missile coming to kill everyone you know and love", she told Agence France-Presse.
Minnesota Public Radio's Brian Bakst was on Maui with his family when they got the alert on their phones and smartwatches.
It quickly turned to anger for Peterson following confirmation of the error: "Man".
But despite the widespread panic, a number of Japanese tourists and residents of the island state interviewed by The Japan Times voiced a more composed reaction to the false alarm. But in the meantime, he said, "it really woke everybody up".
Some professional golfers taking part in the Sony Open in Honolulu were also caught off guard.
"Under mattresses in the bathtub with my wife, baby and in laws". They soon learned that there were no bomb shelters in their area but were heartened to recall seeing a USA military installation while on a hike in a nearby canyon.
The FCC has jurisdiction over the emergency alert system. "There is nothing we can do with a missile, '" said Sterling, a law firm employee. Until all the changes are introduced, tests of the ballistic missile preparation checklist, which were performed several times a day since November 1, have been put on hold by the authorities. "Gone. That's what they just went through".