YouTube Slammed By Creators About Pulling Ads From 'Inappropriate' Content

Image Phillip DeFranco

Image Phillip DeFranco

"While our policy of demonetizing videos due to advertiser-friendly concerns hasn't changed, we've recently improved the notification and appeal process to ensure better communication", a YouTube spokesperson said in a statement.

While creators and most of the online community have no qualms regarding the inappropriateness of displaying violence and the promotion of drugs and regulated substances in a content, many call upon YouTube to give specifics regarding partial nudity, inappropriate language and sexual humor. He said ads were disabled recently for 12 of his videos apparently because they included "excessively strong language" or covered "controversial or sensitive subjects", thereby running afoul of YouTube's advertiser-friendly content guidelines.

According to reports, the company is not exactly a novice when it comes sharing ad revenue with original content creators, as Twitter already offers similar practices to premium content creators, such as the National Football League, but this is meant to be the biggest foray into viral videos. Thanks in part to his complaints, the hashtag #YouTubeIsOverParty was trending for most of Thursday on Twitter, and his original video now has more than 2 million views. These new restrictions include bans on swearing and anything deemed "graphic", but as one YouTube Creator learned, these rules are broad enough to include discussions of current events and regular news stories.

There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth from YouTubers in recent days as rumors started to circulate that YouTube was demonetizing videos deemed not "advertiser friendly".

While a YouTube spokesperson has already confirmed that no policy or enforcement change has occurred, it does not help to dissipate the confusion that is now circulating around YouTube creators. "It would not matter if YouTube stripped me of all my advertising, we will still make money, still be profitable and will still be able to make this show". Leading the charge has been Philip DeFranco, who learned that more than 40 of his videos had been demonetized.

The sometimes wonderful and often terrifying world of Youtube is now up in arms as prominent vloggers claim "YouTube is over" because of the company's policy that disables ads on potentially dicey content. But something to note is YouTube could possibly be doing this not to censor people, but they could be doing this to make more money for themselves and not have to pay the content creators as much.

Other creators voiced their apprehension over the censorship because they think YouTube is imposing on their freedom of speech.

YouTubers are receiving notifications, specifically e-mails, that their videos have been demonetised. Especially when they claim to provide a platform that gives voice to many different people, but turn around and do things like this. "So before you were just turning off ads and not emailing us?" he posted. These guidelines are not new, but YouTube has made a decision to crack down on "inappropriate" content.

Google, who own and run YouTube, are adamant that there has been no change to the rules, simply the way in which uploaders are reminded to stick to them.

Bills Release Projected Starting OLB Manny Lawson
Sensex hits fresh 16-month high; auto stocks drive rally